The practice was originally founded in 1953 when two fresh-faced young architects with the names Dennis Silver and Jeff Howlett established a firm known as Architect Associates. It primarily undertook commissions for single and multi-residential flats and small commercial projects.
The practice was responsible for a number of significant buildings around Perth during the late 1960s and 70s, including Wapet House, Caga House, the Victoria Centre, Lombard House and the CML Building.
Barry Hanley became a Practice Principal in the early 1980s, and about this time the firm developed a working relationship with Melbourne-based architects Aija and Peter Thomas. Hence, in 1985, Silver Thomas Hanley was born.